Forrie hit back late for a point

A goal eight minutes into stoppage time from American striker Hasani Sinclair has given Forrestfield United an unlikely share of the spoils against Joondalup United at Wildlife Safari Stadium at Hartfield Park.

Jamie Gibson gave the visitors the lead early, before Rhys Loxley levelled on the stroke of half time. Joondalup took control after the break with Gibson added two more to complete his hat-trick and Johnny Chalmers looked like he’d won it 16 minutes from time for the visitors. But Forrie hit back and Josh Kito pulled one back moments later, before Jamie Street made it 4-3 and Sinclair had the final word. It got worse for Joondalup with skipper Matthew Sparrow, keeper James Bosdet and Liam Mooney all sent off.

“In a match like this, there is added psychological pressure because we are expected to win,” Forrestfield Head Coach Rod Banjac said. “It was a mental and physical (battle) today and it seemed like for every three shots we had that missed, they had one that went in. But we never gave up and that’s something we’ve advanced in, we’ve matured and for the boys to comeback like they did, I am very proud.”

The hosts were on the front foot early and Bosdet did well to saved Loxley’s shot before Sinclair header crashed off the crossbar. Sinclair headed wide again moments later as the home side dominated early. But it was the visitors who were ahead on 16 minutes, Liam Kessel’s cross was turned home by Gibson. Moments later Luke Martino had to react well to tip over Adam Buckley’s effort. Forrestfield lifted, and Jordan Hart’s cross picked out Sinclair, whose header crashed off the post again.

Bosdet then denied Liam Merigan’s shot on the turn, as the home side laid siege on the Joondalup goal. But Joondalup should have doubled their lead when Matt Cherrie was sent one-on-one with Martino by Elliot Tattersall, but the Forrestfield keeper stood tall to deny him. But in the final minute Forrestfield deservedly levelled, a ball over the top sent Loxley in goal and he finished clinically past Bosdet.

It was a more of the same after half time, Bosdet got down well to save Loxley’s shot early, but against the run of play Joondalup were back in front just after the hour, Gibson firing home superbly from the angle. The striker completed his hat-trick on 69 minutes finishing well into the bottom corner and it looked game over when Chalmers added a fourth seven minutes later.

But the home side had other ideas, and substitute Kotio pulled one back sixty seconds later, reacting well after Sinclair’s shot had come back off the crossbar. Joondalup were reduced to ten men when Sparrow was sent off by referee Josh Mannella for a high elbow on Mitchell Crocker.

It was game on and Forrestfield hit the crossbar again moments later Street’s shot superbly tipped on to the woodwork by Bosdet. But they did pull another goal back, six minutes from time after Street headed home Crocker’s cross. It still looked like the ten men would hold on, but with the clock on 98 minutes Forrie found the equaliser.

Tom Southgate’s free kick found Sinclair, who outjumped Mooney to head past Bosdet to set of wild celebrations in the crowd, although not for the Joondalup players, with Bosdet and Mooney both sent off after remonstrating about the amount of added time played. ”
Forrestfield United: GK Luke MARTINO, 2 Tom SOUTHGATE, 3 Wilbert TSHABANGU, 4 Jamie DUNCAN, 5 Scott BARKER, 8 Mitchell CROCKER (Callum DOBBS 87), 9 Hasani SINCLAIR, 10 Jordan HART (Josh KOTIO 61), 11 Liam MERIGAN, 15 Jamie STREET, 23 Rhys LOXLEY – Subs not used: RGK Benjamin PARRY, 6 Sedad YAGLI, 14 Leslie MARI
Joondalup United: GK James BOSDET, 2 Johnny CHALMERS, 7 Matthew SPARROW, 10 Elliot Tattersall (23 Ellis HESLOP 90+8′), 11 Anthony TAYLOR, 12 William KESSEL (Morgan COOPER 76′, Johann SILVER 90+8′), 14 Liam MOONEY, 17 Matthew CHERRIE, 19 Adam BUCKLEY, 22 Jamie GIBSON, 24 Ayden DRAGAN – Subs not used: Nil – Red cards: Sparrow 75′, Bosdet 90+8′, Mooney 90+8′ – Referee: Josh Mannella