Western Knights 01/06/19

It was game day 9 in the state league 2019 and we traveled to Mosman Park to face Western Knights on officially the first day of winter but was more like a stunning summer’s day in Perth. With our 3 squads assembled together we had no fewer than 16 (yes sixteen) injuries which has stretched the whole club to the absolute maximum.


As always we started with the under 18’s. If you haven’t been down to watch our 18s lately you really are missing out. Not only do they, in typical forrie fashion, play excellent football but they have resilience and determination that would make any manager proud. In today’s game they came in off the back of a very encouraging 4-1 victory last week and started the game where they left off playing some scintillating football at times. Somehow, however, they found themselves to be 3-2 down at half time despite dominating the first half. In a very up and down game the scoring went 3-3, 4-3 Western Knights, 4-4, 5-4 Forrestfield and then finally 6-4. As mentioned earlier in the article we have a lot of injuries, so a special mention must go to Under 15’s goalkeeper Sam Chaplin who came to sit on the bench for cover and ended up on the pitch as a striker. Sam not only looked more than comfortable as a striker but actually scored the 5th and 6th goals in a highly entertaining match! Scorers for Forrestfield were Sam Chaplin (2), Leon Rehl, Wes Brown, Jake Fritchley (2).


Next up we had the undefeated reserves who were, like the rest of the club depleted to 10 players due to some of their players being called up to the first team and various other injuries. On a slightly more positive injury note, Michael Fletcher was back in action today for the first time since his knee operation four week ago. The ressies, like the 18s, started the game positively and were unlucky not to score in the opening 20 minutes. However were struck with a sucker punch counter attack when their striker was pulled down for a penalty to make it 1-0 Knights. Only a matter of minutes later Cherno Bah was hauled down just outside the penalty area and Jordan Lyall stepped up to smash the free kick home and make it 1-1. Unfortunately the lead lasted only 5 minutes when the Knights striker ghosted in from the left hand side and slotted home from 25 yards to make it 2-1 Knights at half time despite a number of chances from forrie with the knights keeper pulling off at least 4-5 saves. The second half started in the peak of the afternoon with temperatures hitting 28 degrees which although must’ve been nice for the spectators was hard work for the boys. Chasing the game at 2-1 we were knocking on the door several times before captain Sami Atta bounced on a cut back to make it 2-2. Again however we were pegged back when a corner was failed to be properly clearly and the knights striker smashed it home from 18 yards through 3 defenders giving an un-sighted Ben Parry no chance. Again however Forrie rallied. Sami Atta played a beautiful switch to Michael Fletcher who’s cross was met by Cherno Bah to make it 3-3. And keen to keep pace at the top of the ladder forrie again weren’t finished with some excellent control on the left from “Rooney” who took on three players, got slightly fortunate with the bounce, then slotted home for the 4-3 victory and make it 2 wins out of two for the second week in succession for the youth teams.


And so on to the main event and the first team. Before we get into the game a massive congratulations to Stephen O’leary who welcomed his first born into the world with his partner on Friday. Luckily it was Friday as we were desperate for players and the commitment from Stephen to come and play was admirable and very much appreciated by all at the club. As well as the 9 (nine) first team injuries we had to contend with, we lost Liam Merrigan in the morning who has been struggling all week with a virus. We kept things tight at the back for the first 20 looking to frustrate knights and looking to release young Justin Ngeny up front who had plenty of pace. Unfortunately on the 23 minute mark we were undone with a counter attack down the left with the cut back leaving the knights the easiest of tap-ins to make it 1-0. It would be a fair assessment of the game to say Knights had the better opening term and nearly made it 2-0 when a free kick from the left that looked to be a cross nearly caught Luke Martino in goal out at the near post, fortunately for forrie it cannoned off the post to safety. That safety was short lived however when a neat one-two on the right seen the knights striker get 5 yards of space and he slotted home from 20 yards to make it 2-0 at half time.  The second half was a completely different affair. Forrie came out firing, with a high press and really took the game to knights who couldn’t live with the pace, intensity and work rate of their counter-parts. Even at 2-0 down and we were reduced to ten men with Mitch Crocker picking up two yellow cards forrie continued to look the better team and were knocking at the door. If you had arrived to the game at this point and had to guess which team was down to ten men and down 2-0 you certainly wouldn’t have picked Forrestfield. Jordan Hart was creating a lot down the right flank but the best chance for forrie fell to Daryl Platten who’s header from a corner somehow was kept out by the knights keeper. On a day that started so positively for the youth teams, the first team were ultimately beaten 2-0 however there were many many positives to take from the performance especially in the second half. A special mention has to go to all of our players today who were fasting today due to Ramadan. In particular Cherno Bah and Ishmael Graywood who both played 90 minutes for the ressies and then did not look out of place at all when coming off the bench for the first team.


Next Saturday we will look to get back to winning ways when we face Joondalup United at Hartfield Park.