Match Report – Joondalup United 08/06/19

It was back to a very wet Game Guardian Stadium for Forrestfield today as we entertained Joondalup United. After an encouraging afternoon last weekend in the sun Vs Western Knights we were looking to get back to winning ways in our state league division one clash. On what was a very wet and windy day at Hartfield Park we’d like to thank everyone who took the time to come down and support the boys.


As always we started with the Under 18’s. As mentioned last week the 18’s have really started getting the results that their performances deserved lately and went into today on the back of some very positive results including a stunning 6-4 victory last week. It took only until the 12th minute of the match for forrie to get the scoring underway. Ahmed Amir and Matt Catterall played a great one-two in the middle before playing forward to Wes Brown, who turned with his first touch and with his second dispatched the ball over the keepers head and into the net. In a scrappy affair with not many chances, forrie then stamped their authority on the game with 25 minutes gone when Ahmed Amir picked up a loose ball in the midfield and then played a beautifully weighted pass out to Jake Fritchley on the right who looked for all the world he was going to score but then very unselfishly squared to Wes Brown to make it 2-0 to Forrie. Unfortunately before half time the score line was halfed to 2-1 when a free kick from the right was swung in and the Joondalup striker ghosted in and headed home. In the second half Forrie really upped the anti. In the 52nd minute Matt Catterall done really well to get the ball in the middle who then played it wide for Omar Hamden who hung up a delicious cross to the back post for Wes Brown head the ball home for his hat-trick! Forrie really dominated the second half and were very unlucky not to make it four when that man again Wes Brown took a shot from the edge of the area that came off the crossbar, off the line and then bounced to safety. All in all another good win for the 18s and coach Malcolm Tshuma.


Next came the unbeaten reserves. I think rather unfortunately for reserves, due to the injury problems in the first team half of the reserve team made the step up today and although we still had a strong enough team to compete it was nowhere near or strongest reserve team on the field. This i guess is bitter/sweet for the club – We thrive on progressing youngsters and relish in the prospect of them performing at the highest level. On this occasion it left the reserves with a very thin squad and ultimately resulted in their first loss of the season. The report on the match will be short and sweet. We lost 3-0 on what can be described best as “a bad day at the office”.


On to the main event of the day, the first team. Injuries again the main topic with 11 first team players out as well as Mitch Crocker being out suspended. In this fixture last season in the NPL we shared a 4-4 draw, with 3 red cards so it was sure to be a feisty affair. In what can only be described as torrential rain the game kicked off. The game didn’t take long to get into life. In the opening 5 minutes Luke Martino made not one but two fantastic saves, the latter of the two a brilliant one handed flick round the post from the header. Forrie soon got back on the front foot when Arif Nazari swung in a cross from the left which was only half cleared to Ben Rodgers who shot wide from 20 yards. The breakthrough came on 20 minutes when Jordan Fart made his way down the right and then smashed a shot high into the roof of the net to make it 1-0 for Forrie. It was turning into a midfield battle and Forrie were more than up for the battle. It took till the 41st minute of the game for the next real chance with Ishmael Greywood striking the post from a 25 yard effort. With two minutes to go before half time Daryl Platten swung in a scrumptious ball from the right for Stephen O’Leary to head home for his first goal for Forrestfield and send us in 2-0 up at half time. The second half can only be described as a grind. The rain was falling so hard that the roof on Hartfield Park was nearly giving way but it no way stopped us from being on top. On the 47th minute a meandering run from Jordan Hart ended in him being bundled over in the area but, much to the surprise of the forrie army, no penalty was given. The rain was getting relentless now and the game was in real danger of getting called off with large puddles appearing on the park. However on the 70th minute when Justin Ngeny went down the right and the goal keeper found himself well out of position he easily found Mella Loding who calmly placed the ball into an empty net from 10 yards. Forrie weren’t finished yet. In the 83rd minute with the rain still getting worse forrie still pressed for another with substitute Cherno Bah skipping past two Joondulap defenders and unleashing a shot that the keeper did well to save. In the very last minute Forrestfield got their fourth and i think there can be no arguments that we saved the best till last. Daryl Platten played a long ball forward for Justin Ngeny. He recieved the ball on the right, cut inside and looked like he would just slot the ball home with his left foot. Instead he cut back on to his right leaving the defender in a puddle of water to then smash the ball into the top corner and secure a 4-0 win for Forrestfield. Justin ran the whole day, infact i think Normo had to tell him to stop running even after the final whistle. It was a complete team performance and one we can hopefully build on going into next week!