Match Report V UWA Nedlands 29/06/19

Today we headed to the UWA sports park to take on a UWA side who in no uncertain terms absolutely battered us 3-0 early in the season. We came into the game full of confidence with no losses in our last four. In a rare occasion in the last 6-7 weeks we actually had 11 fit first team players! But with Ryan Francis and Michael Fletcher only good for the bench, young guns Luqman Sayyed and Tanuj Sahni came into the team.

Before the main event as always, we had the 18s and reserves first. The 18s unfortunately have as many injuries as the first team and again had to rely on call ups from the under 15s/16s. On a tough afternoon against the team who are runaway leaders at the top of the league we lost 5-0 which sounds like a drubbing however it was a lot more competitive than the scoreline suggests.

The reserves came into today on the back of a very impressive 3-0 victory down in Mandurah and were looking to keep setting the pace at the top of the league. In a scrappy affair we took a 1-0 lead when Mark Eldridge headed home from a corner which was unfortunately cancelled out on the stroke of half time when a long-range effort somehow found the net. Forrie pushed and pushed in the second half but the stalemate remained and the points were shared. We fall to second on the ladder, one point behind Gwelup who also have a game in hand. Next week V 3rd placed Ashfield is now a massive game if we are to keep our title aspirations alive.

The first team as previously mentioned were unbeaten in 4 and after 2 very credible draws away to Kingsway and Mandurah we were looking for our first away win of the season. Daryl Platten lead the team out with Rhys Loxley still injured. Daryl, who joined us from Sorrento in the summer has now an established central defensive partnership with Stephen O’Leary, given all the injuries we’ve had it’s great to see “the two old boys” of the team being ever present this season. We started the game well, controlling possession in the midfield just lacking a bit of creativity in the final third. The first chance of the day fell to Stephen O’Leary whose back-post header from a corner just found the wrong side of the post. UWA grew a bit more into the game and were unlucky not to take the lead when a looping header from a corner had Ben Parry in goals beaten, however Luqman Sayyed excellently got back on to the line to head clear. And so into the second half it went 0-0 knowing at this stage that one goal would probably be enough to win in a match of few chances. The first goal of the game came in quite frankly bizarre circumstances on the hour mark. UWA had a free kick inside their own penalty area. The goal keeper went to take a quick one to get the attack going but passed the ball straight to Ben Rodgers. Ben squared it to Dan Corbett who had the simple task of sliding the ball into the net from 12 yards for his 3rd goal of the season! Forrie were looking for a second and really should’ve added to their tally when the ever-excellent Josh Pereira slipped in substitute Michael Fletcher on the right. Fletcher’s first touch eluded him however managed to get it on to his left but unfortunately his weak shot was easily saved by the keeper. Moments later Forrie again looking to extend their lead when Pereira cut out a slack pass in the UWA midfield to drive forward and unleash a shot from 25 yards which was well saved by the keeper. In the closing minutes UWA were looking to equalise however Forrie held on to win 1-0. It may not have been the prettiest win in the world but 3 points and a clean sheet away from home is absolutely brilliant.


Next week we host Ashfield in what is a massive massive game at Hartfield Part, 3pm Kick off – hopefully we can get a big crowd down to cheer on the boys!